May's Community day was announced just a few days ago, with a "coming soon" caveat pinned on in regards to its subject and move for the event. Well, the "soon" part was definitely correct, as Niantic has just released the information on the event, as well as unveiling the new Mega Evolution that will release at the same time.
|Event Start||Event End||Bonus|
|11:00 a.m. local time||5:00 p.m. local time||1/4 Egg Hatch Distance|
- Swablu evolved into Altaria during the event will learn the move Moonblast
- Swablu will be showing up in snapshots as a photobomb
- A special $1 research featuring Swablu will be available; "Cotton-Winged Bird"
- A special Community Day box will be available
- Incense will last for 3 hours during the event window
An interesting choice with a very strong thematic tie to Altaria. It's straight-up worthless in PvE, as Dazzling Gleam is the superior choice if you want Fairy damage. However, it's potentially a strong choice for PvP. It has higher base power than Dragon Pulse and offers a chance to drop the opponent's attack for the same energy cost. It has solid neutral coverage (though it's still walled by Steel Types), and is definitely a top choice for a second charged move moving forward.
The literal second that Swablu's Community Day ends, Mega Altaria will enter the raid scene.
When Altaria evolves, it sheds its Normal typing in favor of Flying/Dragon. In a similar way, Altaria will shed the last bit of its base-form's typing on Mega Evolution, becoming a Fairy/Dragon Type.
Mega Altaria is.... well, it exists. It has potential in PvP, but it can't currently join the Go Battle League. In PvP, it's vastly outclassed as an attacker. However, it is our first Fairy Type Mega, and it can provide solid whole-team DPS buffs that are quite substantial due to how long it stays on the field.
While interesting, the utility of this strategy isn't widely utilized, making this a largely uninteresting Mega Evolution to invest raid passes in.
The featured Pokémon for this May’s Community Day will be Swablu, the Cotton Bird Pokémon!
Date + Time
Saturday, May 15, 2021, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Swablu will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
- Evolve Swablu during the event or up to two hours afterward to get an Altaria that knows the attack Moonblast.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
- There’ll be a special one-time-purchase Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring 50 Ultra Balls, five Super Incubators, five Incense, and an Elite Fast TM.
- For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Swablu Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, Cotton-Winged Bird.
- Stay tuned for when tickets for the Cotton-Winged Bird Special Research story go live! Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.
- Mega Altaria will be making its Pokémon GO debut in Mega Raids at the conclusion of May Community Day on Saturday, May 15, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. local time. This is your chance to collect Mega Altaria Energy to Mega-Evolve any of the Altaria you’ve collected during the event!
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed in an Incubator during the event period
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team