This special event contains a series of maps you must fight your way through from beginning to end. Losing does not mean game over, as you can retry with multiple teams. At the end of each round, points are awarded based on clear speed, survivability and bonus units. Your total points are tallied and used to unlock various rewards, many of which are exclusive to the Tempest Trials. Additionally, there is a player ranking with large feather rewards given to those with the highest scores.
The Tempest Trials game mode recently received an update which made changes to some elements and scoring factors.
Bonus allies gain double EXP and SP, and stat boosts (HP+10, +4 other stats).
Your first two runs per day earn triple the amount of points, and grant stat boosts to all of your units (as if they were bonus allies).
Duration of the Tempest Trials is 10 days.
Reward tiers now only require half of the normal score (maxing out at 50,000 points)
Finn is a blue lance-wielding Cavalry unit and the featured reward unit for this Tempest Trials. His well-rounded statline gives him good Attack, Speed and Defense. He’s a great attacker with his Brave Lance, but struggles to score KO’s on high-defense foes. His Brave Lance also hurts his Speed, meaning he requires some inheritance to reach max potential.
Seal Speed Seal
This seal reduces the enemy’s Speed by seven after combat, and normally appears in the B slot. It’s not useful for hard-hitting attackers who aim to OHKO opponents, but is a decent choice for units designed to duel over multiple turns. Although it has some niche applications, there are many better seals available.
Fortress Defense Seal
Fortress Defense is a stat-boosting skill, granting +5 Defense at the cost of reducing Attack by 3. This skill is extremely niche, as few units appreciate the lowered attack instead opting for defense-boosters like Fury, Close Def and Defense +3. However it’s great for units who don’t rely on Attack such as certain staff-users, making him significantly harder to KO.
A Five-star version of Finn. He is a decent choice of bonus unit for the Tempest Trials, but is unfortunately overshadowed by Reinhardt and Olwen. Finn shares a color and movement type with them, but lacks damage compared to their powerful Dire Thunder tomes.
Drive Attack Seal
The best reward available for this Tempest Trials, the Drive Attack seal lets a unit boost the attack of all allies within two spaces by +3. This stacks with the regular Drive Attack skill, as well as special weapons such as Marth’s refined Falchion and Brave Lucina’s Geirskogul. This is an incredible reward and with the recent changes to the Tempest Trials has never been easier to pick up.
All Seals come at level one, but can be upgraded to their higher-leveled versions in the Weapon Refinery.
For those looking to maximise their score and stamina efficiency, care should go into choosing a Tempest Trials team. Instead of talking about just completed teams, I’ll be talking about the elements that make those teams successful, so that players with different units can construct viable teams. Unless otherwise stated, all units from here on out are assumed to be running their recommended builds. A team with the best chance of success will have the following:
- As many bonus units as possible, as they receive huge stat boosts.
- Source(s) of healing, such as healing specials or a staff-user.
- Strategy for the final map and boss.
- Weapon Triangle coverage, as the actual units within each map can vary significantly.
The first two runs each day grant all units a stat boost as if they were bonus units. This simplifies team-building for those looking to complete just those runs and nothing else.
The first units you’ll want to think about using are of course, the bonus units. With their huge stat bonuses (+10 HP, +4 to all other stats) they will punch far above their normal weight. Always endeavor to have at least one bonus unit on your team, as they increase your score by 40%. Bonus units do not stack: 40% total will be awarded no matter how many bonus units are on the team.
The first two runs each day grant all units a stat boost as if they were bonus units. This makes team-building much simpler for those runs, as players can use nearly any unit they want.
- Leif: Despite not being a Cavalry unit himself, Leif is an excellent unit for this Tempest Trials and boasts the best survivability of all bonus units. Leif's S Drink ability means he starts each individual map on full HP and with a bonus special charge to boot. Leif is also blazing fast, and can OHKO most enemies with double attacks.
- Reinhardt (World of Thracia): Reinhardt has much greater offensive power than Leif, especially when run as a part of a Cavalry team. However, he is much more prone to death due to his low Speed. Reinhardt is the best red unit for a Cavalry team, and can even be run alongside his blue counterpart.
- Olwen (World of Thracia): Olwen shines in Cavalry teams with her special tome having the same effect as a Blade tome. With a Hone Cavalry buff behind her, she will tear through the trials easily, and is the best candidate to KO the final boss. A deadly team can be formed if she's combined with both versions of her brother Reinhardt.
- Nanna: Nanna is a staff-wielder which immediately makes her a great choice of unit. Nanna can provide strong healing to allies over many maps, greatly increasing the chance of victory. She can
- Seliph: Seliph is a very tanky unit, and is a solid choice when paired up with a staff-user or other healing Special. However even with his Divine Tyrfing he won't be able to tank the final boss.
- Reinhardt: Even without bonus stats, Reinhardt has long been one of the very best units for the Tempest Trials thanks to his Dire Thunder tome. With so many Cavalry units as bonus units, Reinhardt can be used with his alternate version or his sister's for full color coverage.
- Olwen: Olwen has long lived in her brother's shadow, but is a very good unit in her own right. She can use a quad-attack build with Dire Thunder or a Blade tome set to take advantage of Hone Cavalry.
- Finn: Available for free, Finn is a solid unit but overshadowed by both Reinhardt and Olwen. He can't quite keep up with their heavy magic damage, and lacks a ranged attack to KO foes. Despite this, he performs well regardless in Cavalry teams due to their buffs, and can support them with Hone Cavalry if inherited.
Staff-users are highly recommended for all kinds of teams due to their amazing healing potential. They are by far the most reliable and powerful healers available, and can also provide strong chip damage to neutralize strong threats.
There are a few types of builds which can be used to heal teams without using a dedicated healer. The first of these is the “Renewal Medic”, a build type which relies on healing from Renewal and the legendary weapon Falchion. Reciprocal Aid is a must-have skill to ensure clean transferral of health to allies. Forging Falchion increases the healing from this type of build.
Lastly, there is the "sustain tank" build. With a cooldown -1 weapon such as a Slaying Axe combined with Steady Breath, Quick Riposte and Aether, a unit can charge and fire off their special every round of combat keeping their health topped up over a long time. Leif is an incredible sustain unit thanks to his S Drink and does not need any skill inheritance.
These are some of the most potent allies for Tempest Trials, offering both safety and speed to your run. In short, they are great for all the usual reasons, but are affected by their low combat stats, which can hold them back. Due to team limitations, if you choose to field a dancer they must be a respectable combat unit in their own right, with either a full build or something close.
One of the fastest ways to clear the Tempest Trials is with a powerful ranged attacker wielding a Brave bow or Blade tome. Combined with a buffer or dancer, they can destroy most units in the trials with ease once they are under the Desperation threshold. Nino, Linde, Rhajat, Tharja, Lilina, Katarina, L'Arachel, Olwen and Brave Lyn are all common choices.
Many of the bonus units this time around are powerful sweepers: Reinhardt and Olwen (including both of their alternate forms) pack an extraordinary amount of power with their weapons and can all buff each other with Hone Cavalry. A full team of Cavalry is highly recommended for this reason.
For those looking to save time, the autobattle feature lets you quickly gain tempest points with minimal effort. When creating an autobattle team, there are a few considerations:
- Hard (5 Battles) is the most suitable difficulty for most players, assuming you can field a full team of five star characters. With enough bonus units or merges, it may be possible to do the lower infernal difficulty.
- Team building considerations are mostly the same for manual teams. The AI tends to play recklessly, making tanky units with well-rounded statlines and Distant Counter fare the best.
- A dedicated healer is nearly always better unless you have multiple units with Aether or other healing. If you choose a dedicated healer, don’t forget to un-equip their weapon. Otherwise, the AI will treat them like a ranged attacker, and play aggressively with them.
- Don't forget to pack a bonus unit!
- Flying units tend to be poor choices, unless equipped with Iote's Shield. This is because the AI's reckless playstyle often leaves them in the range of deadly archers.
- Distant Counter Units: Hector(LA), Nowi, Dorcas, Hector, Ike, Ike(VL), Ryoma, Black Knight, Young Tiki, Zelgius
- Sustain Tanks: Leif, Brave Ike, Ike, Ike(VL), Brave Lucina, Raven
- Dedicated Healers: Clarine, Any staff-user!
- Other Healers: Masked Marth/Lucina, Chrom, Arvis, Linde, Performing Olivia, Alm, Marth
- Sweepers: Reinhardt, Olwen, Reinhardt (WoT), Olwen (Wot), Brave Lyn, Lute, Reinhardt, L'Arachel, Olwen, Nino, Delthea, Lilina, Bridal Cordelia
Threats to Autobattling Teams
- Triangle Adept
- Weapon Breaker Skills
- Firesweep Weapons
- Brave Weapons
- Effective Weapons (Such as Armorsmashers, Horseslayers and Bows)
- Wrath/Wo Dao
The boss of the Tempest Trials this time is Reinhardt. Those who frequent the Arena will no doubt be used to fighting Reinhardt, as he commonly seen on Arena defense teams. Reinhardt is a deadly attacker whose Dire Thunder tome allows him to strike twice in quick succession, similar to a Brave weapon. Luckily, this version of Reinhardt is not built optimally and with the proper counter, goes down easily. Reinhardt is much more threatening when at lower HP, as he has Brazen Atk/Spd. Beware forfeiting the last stage too much as this may take his HP below the threshold he needs to activate the skill. Some units that perform well against him are:
Green Mage Tanks
- With high Resistance and the capability to strike back, they are among the best choices of unit for fighting him. Julia, Deirdre and Sonya are three excellent examples. With a Distant Defense seal and Resistance-boosting ability such as Fury or Resistance +3, Nino and Olwen (WoT) can handle him also.
Distant Counter units.
- Units with Distant Counter can hit back against Reinhardt, provided they can survive his attack. High-resistance green units such as Sheena, Amelia, Winter Lissa, Titania and Camilla work well against him. Hector can also perform well against Reinhardt, but he will need a slight Resistance boost. Brave Ike finds it easy to survive Reinhardt thanks to his axe, Urvan. Remember that Wary Fighter and B Tomebreaker will not stop Reinhardt from attacking twice, this is due to how his tome Dire Thunder works.
- If all else fails, a unit can use the Deflect Magic seal to weaken the assault of Reinhardt. This seal reduces the damage of consecutive attacks, and at level three will reduce the damage of his second hit by 80%. This allows many more units to tank and KO Reinhardt. The Deflect Magic seal can be crafted in the Sacred Seal forge.
Enemy 1: Melee Flying Units
Enemy 2: Ranged Cavalry Units
Enemy 3: Melee Cavalry Units
Enemy 4: Melee Infantry Units
|Special||Rising Thunder||C||Spur Atk 1|
User Submitted Teams
this team is pretty much if you want to get past tempest trails easily, basically run brave bow+ and desperation 3 or 2 on (b)Lyn and make sure Reinhardt has death blow 3 and desperation 3 or 2.Both of dancers must have wings of mercy 3 or 2, also Reinhardt and Lyn is recommended to have luna to get things done quicker.One last thing, you must run hone calvary on both units so Reinhardt can hit way harder and so Lyn can quad to instantly prog luna. This team is capable of doing the hardest difficulty but not on auto, Reinhardt needs quickened pulse its important.
WT!Reinhardt -spd/+def (Base kit and Moonbow): Based Sweeper
PA!Azura +res/-def (Base kit as well + WoM and Luna): Reinhardt's best friend
Genny -spd/+hp (Razzle Dazzle with Gravity+)
Micaiah +spd/-hp (Cavalry and armor check)
The team consists of mostly sweeper offensive ranged units. The combination of Gunnthrá's chilling seal and various cavalry buffs can really help with deleting enemies without taking any damage. Reinhardt is used as the bonus unit because of his ready availability and his blue color coverage. Brave Lyn with a brave bow annihilates pretty much all squishy units that might be able to K.O. some of your units. Reinhardt with his standard Deathblow 3, Moonbow and Quickened Pulse sacred seal does serious work, especially with the bonus to all of his stats that he receives. Gunnthrá is best kept out of combat as her Chilling Seal is a real lifesaver when it comes to sometimes necessary tanking. Sigurd is the least squishy of the units, so I equipped him with double Close Counter for tanking the physical threats and possibly the dragons. The team is best used manually on the highest difficulty, with the auto-battles being on the hard difficulties, possibly the easier lunatic ones. Make sure to keep Lynhardt and Gunnthrá away from the enemies and leave the tanking to Sigurd and this team will serve you wonders
Nowi with Aether, warding blow, and quick riposte helps her dish out some damage while charging Aether for the killing blow. SS: Distant Defence 3
Fallen Robin (M) with Aether, Steady Breath(not necessary), vengeful fighter, and ward dragons supports Nowi when she's close. Great unit to have running around safely SS: Armour boots
Genny- any healer
Reinhardt- Bonus unit, usually is defeated in the last round as he runs into enemy sights.
This team is safe to use for Lunatic Mode (5 stages)
Performing Azura (any dancer are possible but she has her special weaopn)
Dancer with Escape Route
Bridal Cordelia (any good brave bow user)
Brave Bow + Desperation + Brash Assault Seal
Reinhardt ( Bonus unit and totally owerpowered with TT boost)
Dire Thunder+ Death Blow + Lance Breaker
Arvis (any good ployer)
Disclaimer: Can handle highest difficulty, but not recommended for autobattles.